BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Sweet Stinging Bee

 
    In my opinion, entertainment is one of the reasons why movies exist. Part of their role in our society is to provide entertainment to those who come seeking for one. As for that, this movie will never fail to provide what the audience wants. Usually, if it is a movie that involves kids or animals, it would be great miss if we do not watch that movie. As in this movie, it revolves around a little girl named Akeelah and her passion in spelling. She is a brilliant student but her life is not balanced as she had lost her father. It really creates an interest in me as I started watching this movie as it started with a simple narration that straight away brings the audience into the storyline. It is also fun to watch how the kids from ghetto talks of their slang, it was like listening to a rap song. This movie is really fun to be watched from the beginning till the end.
    As a student of B.Ed TESL, I was very impressed with the words that they used in the spelling bee competition. I have never come across those words in my life before. Probably I would have screwed up even in the school level. Taking it in a positive way, this is my inspiration to learn more new words. Not only that, but I would like to use them when I write or speak. The real purpose is not to make myself sound bombastic but it is just for my self-satisfaction. I just feel that I am learning to make myself better and when I see the fruitful outcome from it, that is what happiness is to me. So, basically, this movie acts as one of my inspiration for me to learn more, not only in the aspects of new words but together with all the elements of this course, such as teaching methods, research skills, every single element that will be useful to me.
Seeing the character of Dr.Larabee by LaurenceFishburne reminds me of my primary school teachers who trained me for district level public speaking competition, Pn.Zainon and En.Zabadi. They really did their best that whenever they have time, they will hang out with me just to make sure that I will be able to speak well. I know it was not only for the purpose of school’s achievement, they were very sincere in their jobs. We became more like a small group of friends rather than teachers and student. They would call me to their office and we would talk stories while practicing. I spent quality time with them that they have become part of my life. They gave me so much of confidence and I would daringly say that they are one of the reasons why I am who I am today. This movie reminded of my good moments and bad moments that I had my teachers. It was worth the tears that would have shed if I had continued thinking about for quite some time.
     
     “Our biggest fear is not that we are inadequate, but how strong we are, it is beyond measure”. This has to be the turning point of Akeelah’s life when Dr.Larabee asked her to read them. The same happened to me. Those lines were very strong and deep and I told myself that this has to be the best line from the movie. I used to think very negatively because of my past experience. But recently, I read so many motivational books and I have managed to change my mind to be more positive. This line has become a boost for me to be more positive. We are our on master, we have more power than we could imagine, we are our own super heroes, when we fully realize this life would be different for real. As a future teacher, I also have learnt that I must have the passion to teach and I must be sincere in what I do. I just hope that as long as I can be a teacher, I would like to create at least ten students who would make me proud and that would satisfy myself as a teacher.

0 comments: