BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lady-like Smile

     A star studded movie is always a movie worth watching few times. Julia Roberts, Kirtsen Dunst and few other big names are a bunch of talented crew that can be found in the movie Mona Lisa smile. For me, I viewed this movie from a perception of a feminist or rather I was made into thinking that way because most of the casts in this movie are ladies, I just cannot help thinking that way. Nevertheless, it was very entertaining as I never have the thought that I would be watching a movie from this point of view.
     Feminism is one of the theories in literature and so was taught to me. To me, this is absolutely a good theory because it stands up for the women who deserve to shine like a star among the suns in the literature galaxy. In this movie, Julia Roberts is appointed as a lecturer to teach arts in a famous college in Wellesley. The first day does not go as how she had expected because the students were just too smart. They have studied everything in the syllabus and it was just another day for them. But Julia Roberts’ character sensed something that they lack, freedom. All they have in their mind is to finish studying and find the right guy to be married to. So, the savior steps up to the duty and does her job well in making the girls realize that life is not only about getting married. Women have their rights to choose what they want to do with their life and they have expectations, ambitions and dreams that worth chasing.
     My favourite part is when Julia Roberts shows them a picture of flower in a vase and the students could not answer what kind of art it is. They started arguing within themselves and that is when Julia Roberts started to put some sense into them. This is what I would like to do to my students. Education is not for them to pass examination. Knowledge is not something to be copied on the answering sheets and be forgotten the next day. It is something that worth keeping forever, it is meant to be shared with everone. Life has to offer so much yet we constrain them and make the hell out of it.
     This movie has really put some sense into me as well. My students will be friends. There are limits and rules to be followed but apart from that, I want them to know that as a teacher, I am able to make a difference in their life and I would want to gain their trust. All this is through the innocent smile introduced by a legend that never spoke a word or even blink her eyes, Mona Lisa.

 

0 comments: